Saturday, August 10, 2019

Repurposing a Three Bulb Light Fixture into a Candle Holder - Part 2

I actually have done this type of repurposing a second time with a used light fixture. A friend was renovating one of his apartments before putting it up for rent. In the process, he had a vintage light fixture which he asked if I could make something for him with.  


Here's what it looked like to start with, covered in paint and grime. So the first thing I set out to do was clean it. You can check out the process I went through to clean it in my post "Cleaning Metal with Toothpaste". It took a bit of effort to get it cleaned. 


Once I had it cleaned up, I had to add the candle holders. I used a used and cleaned glass candle for the center to give it a unique look and added a glass bowl to both sides. I used hot glue to secure each of the glasses. Since the metal sides of the fixture were sloped I had to build up part of the side using hot glue to make sure the glass bowls would sit flat. 

Next I painted the three glasses black. I then used stain on the entire thing. I made sure not to get any black paint or stain on the inside of any of the three glasses. Since this will be used with candles, I wanted to be absolutely sure nothing is flammable where the candle flame is. 

Here's the finished product!


No comments:

Post a Comment