Friday, June 28, 2019

Cleaning Metal with Toothpaste


I started a crafting endeavor recently which I thought would be quite simple and straight forward as I have done it in the past; turning an old light fixture into a candle holder. I hope to later write a post about how I have done that.



This time was different. The old light fixture was not clean. It had old paint layered on top and layers of dirt on the underside. I thought a quite wash with soup would do the trick… It did not. So, I turned to my tried and go to method for cleaning dingy metals; toothpaste. I know it sounds odd, but I have also used this method when cleaning jewelry.



Here is how the light fixture looked before I started cleaning.



I first scrapped off as much paint as I could and did a cleaning with dish soap and water. This is the results.





Then it was onto the toothpaste. Look at how it came out! The left (gold) side is the side I cleaned with the toothpaste. You can see the difference from the tarnished right side. I originally thought this was silver, but after washing it with the toothpaste, I can now see that it is actually gold.





I was quite happy with the results and am excited to move onto the next step to turn this into a candle holder.

No comments:

Post a Comment